Having 3 kids with one in school means you are exposed to lots of germs. Chris's job exposes him to lots - both at the hotel and when he's referring or umpiring. I try to be careful about where we go, what we do, and when we do it mostly because of Jacob. With his asthma a cold can turn into trouble quickly, especially if I've managed to fall behind on his daily meds. Which I don't intentionally do but it's hard when you've got to manage 4 people, majority under age.
This past week started off decent enough. We did start it a bit tired due to traveling to see friends for superbowl Sunday. Tuesday Alexa started complaining about a sore throat. I didn't really think much of it given that I wake up every morning with a sore throat. It's just part of living in Maine in the winter right?
Not right in this case. Wednesday morning rolled around and she had a worse sore throat plus a fever of over 100 which meant no school. I really wanted her to go. She really wanted to go. I tried giving motrin to bring it down but she was such a sad sight there was no way she was going anywhere but the doctor's office. We dropped the twins off to Nokomi and headed for the new office. Which was chaotic given that our doc went from a practice of 3 (himself, a nurse, and receptionist) to one with 4 docs and all their staff just 2 days earlier.
Sure enough a quick exam plus throat swab revealed strep. Great. Super contagious germ bug, welcome to my home. We went to the store to get her meds and a few groceries, gathered up the twins and eventually arrived home. She spent the rest of the day in bed. By the miracle of good drugs she was back to herself by Thursday morning but not allowed to return to school until she'd been on her antibiotic 24 hours. I was never quite so happy to see Friday. She was bummed about all the fun stuff she missed and she really didn't want to miss the V-day celebration.
Thankfully the twins seem to be holding their own. Can't say the same for myself though. I spent Thursday and Friday just a bit more tired than usual. Started developing a bit of a sore throat prior to bedtime but it was also pretty dry.
I woke up Saturday morning ready to die. Mildly feverish and unable to swallow. It all went downhill from there. Thankfully the doctor on-call didn't make me come in. But 3 days later I sort of wish he'd given me better medication. I spent Saturday and Sunday in a feverish coma. The colder I was, the higher the fever, complete with shakes, swollen glands, and the worst headache. Only this evening am I starting to feel a bit like myself. Throat still a bit sore and glands still irritated but I at least had some energy to make dinner, wash a few dishes, and put away some laundry.
Ahhh...if I only I could figure out how to get my hands on some of Alexa's energy and recover-ability. Because being sick as an adult isn't fun. I'm grateful that Chris was around to help out despite having to work the overnight both Friday and Saturday. Who knows where we would all be without him. It's not like anyone else wanted to come near us...not that I can really blame them.
- weight/length @ 7: 55.6lbs, 48.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 42lbs, 43.5"
- weight/length @ 4: 36 lbs, 39+"
- weight/length@ 3: 32lbs, 36.5 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 26lbs, 33.5 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 18lbs, 29 inches
- walking: 11/17/08
- standing: 3/31/08
- crawling: army, 2/5/08
- first time rolling: 9/30/07, belly to back
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:49am
- birth length: 19.5 inches
- birth weight: 6lbs, 1oz
- weight/length @7: 53lbs, 47.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 40 lbs, 42.25"
- weight/length @ 4: 34lbs, 38"
- weight/length 3 years: 28lbs, 35.5 inches
- weight/length 2 years: 24lbs, 6oz 33 inches
- weight/length 1 year: 18lbs, 1oz 27.5 inches
- walking: 9/1/08
- standing: 4/4/08
- crawling: army 3/16/08
- sitting alone: 2/29/08
- first time rolling: 11/23/07, back to belly
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:50am
- birth length: 18.75 inches
- birth weight: 5lbs, 8oz
- weight/height @ 10 (really 10.8): 186, 5'3"
- weight/height @ 8.4 years: 113 lbs, 55.5 inches
- weight/height @ 5 years: 61lbs, 4oz 45.25 inches
- weight/length @ 4 years: 49lbs, 42 inches
- weight/length @ 3 years: 38lbs, 38 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 32lbs, 8oz 35.75 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 22lbs, 3 oz 29.5 inches
- 1st day of preschool: 9/3/08
- solo somersault: 3/4/08
- whistling: 3/2/08
- potty training: 10/7/05
- walking: 12/21/04
- standing: 8/23/04
- crawling: 8/21/04, only a week, then became a butt scoot
- first wave: 7/27/04
- rolling: 5/2/04, belly to back
- sleeping thru the night: 3/1/04
- first smile: 1/20/04
- birth date/time: 12/4/03, 10:41pm
- birth length: 20 inches
- birth weight: 7lbs