Probably really should be the survival of the first school vacation...
After a week of baking and making treats and wrapping presents for friends of family the big festivities started Thursday night. For the first time since putting the tree up (the weekend after Thanksgiving, earliest ever for me) we got to open the gate and let the kids up close to it. My parents and siblings came over along with all their significant others and kids to open presents and just visit. I almost think we've seen more of each other in the last month than we have the entire year!
We spent Christmas Eve at home this year, which was nice even though we did miss the big Kendrick clan gathering (which is always a good time). But there is just something about waking up in your own bed.
Almost thought that Santa wouldn't arrive as Alexa decided she wasn't going to go to bed that night. I think finally around 9 she stopped coming out to chat. Eventually Santa dropped off the goods and ate his cookies and milk. Elizabeth was the first one up and about and had a blast digging into her stocking. She was followed maybe 15 minutes later by Jacob who had just as much fun. Alexa had to be woken up by ripping the blankets off of her. Then she came out and started talking about how Santa came into her room and touched her leg and that she heard him when he ate the cookies and milk. I think that kid is going to be a believer for as long as she can!
We eventually moved onto presents which got opened fairly quickly. The twins have discovered the joy of tearing paper open that's for sure. All seemed to be happy with what they got! Loot included art supplies, a bat and soccer ball for Alexa, ponies, cars, and dress up stuff for all. I made a yummy baked french toast that had soaked in the egg mix all night just to have the kids barely touch it. Then we dressed, cleaned up a bit and headed southerly for Christmas with Grammy Karen, Grampa Chris and the girls. I was a bit worried about what the twins would get into at Grammy Karen's but the gigantic pile of presents proved to be a big distraction.
We were back home by just before 6pm Christmas night! All were tired but not too cranky given the busy-ness of the day. Yesterday was spent doing a bit of shopping along with some returns. Once the twins had gone to bed I got to the business of taking down the tree. Alexa was sad to see it go but I really needed to get the room back! It's so nice to see the floor again and know the only thing taking up space for awhile will be the toys they dump on the floor. Jacob is in boy heaven with all his new "beep-beeps" including a remote control train. Elizabeth has been enjoying her zhu zhu hamster along with the puppy and ponies she got. Alexa seems to be enjoying the gift she bought herself most of all followed by a horse stamp set. She's busy making cards for everyone...hopefully they'll get mailed before the other resident artist puts her mark on them.
Overall - an enjoyable holiday season that was fairly stress free. Even Chris commented on how much he enjoyed Christmas this year, he who is normally a bit Scroogy. Now we get to look forward to a New Year's celebration with friends and all that will be coming our way in 2010.
- weight/length @ 7: 55.6lbs, 48.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 42lbs, 43.5"
- weight/length @ 4: 36 lbs, 39+"
- weight/length@ 3: 32lbs, 36.5 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 26lbs, 33.5 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 18lbs, 29 inches
- walking: 11/17/08
- standing: 3/31/08
- crawling: army, 2/5/08
- first time rolling: 9/30/07, belly to back
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:49am
- birth length: 19.5 inches
- birth weight: 6lbs, 1oz
- weight/length @7: 53lbs, 47.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 40 lbs, 42.25"
- weight/length @ 4: 34lbs, 38"
- weight/length 3 years: 28lbs, 35.5 inches
- weight/length 2 years: 24lbs, 6oz 33 inches
- weight/length 1 year: 18lbs, 1oz 27.5 inches
- walking: 9/1/08
- standing: 4/4/08
- crawling: army 3/16/08
- sitting alone: 2/29/08
- first time rolling: 11/23/07, back to belly
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:50am
- birth length: 18.75 inches
- birth weight: 5lbs, 8oz
- weight/height @ 10 (really 10.8): 186, 5'3"
- weight/height @ 8.4 years: 113 lbs, 55.5 inches
- weight/height @ 5 years: 61lbs, 4oz 45.25 inches
- weight/length @ 4 years: 49lbs, 42 inches
- weight/length @ 3 years: 38lbs, 38 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 32lbs, 8oz 35.75 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 22lbs, 3 oz 29.5 inches
- 1st day of preschool: 9/3/08
- solo somersault: 3/4/08
- whistling: 3/2/08
- potty training: 10/7/05
- walking: 12/21/04
- standing: 8/23/04
- crawling: 8/21/04, only a week, then became a butt scoot
- first wave: 7/27/04
- rolling: 5/2/04, belly to back
- sleeping thru the night: 3/1/04
- first smile: 1/20/04
- birth date/time: 12/4/03, 10:41pm
- birth length: 20 inches
- birth weight: 7lbs