Tuesday, December 20, 2011
8 is great
For our family the holiday season is a little extra busy thanks to arrival of Alexa the week after Thanksgiving. Given that her original due date was the 18th I guess I'd rather have it closer to Thanksgiving than Christmas, as does she.
The festivities started off with a surprise trip to Portland. Granted, once we headed in that direction some of the surprise was gone. But they didn't know what we'd be doing there! And it was a busy one...
We attend Christmas at Hadlock Field first. The kids got to decorate baseballs, see Santa arrive via helicopter on the field, make a smore and stand in line for Santa. I say stand in line because it was crazy long and we knew that he'd be making a visit closer to home with much shorter wait times.
After that we hit the mall for a little shopping and some lunch. Then tried to fool the kids into thinking we weren't going to Chuck E Cheese even though we were walking right by it. It sort of worked. But what they didn't know is that they'd be getting to see their aunts, the significant others, and Grammy K. Everyone had fun playing games, although there was a little grumbling among the adults about another adult at CEC (not with us) that kept scoring loads of tickets. Jealous grumbling I say.
Then it was off to the hotel. The twins and I stayed behind to eat pizza and watch loads of tv. Chris and Alexa went to see the Red Claws in action, up close thanks to a pair of courtside tickets Chris won. Alexa had a good time - especially the fact that there was no waiting in line for food, the waitress came to you.
We got home in time the next day to dump our luggage and packages, and grab the party supplies before heading over to the Samoset for her actual party. Which was at the pool and included lots of kids! They burned off loads of energy swimming, jumping, and splashing before having some snacks, cake and presents.
Given that Alexa repeated to me for at least another week how great it was - I'd say it was a success.
Now how do I feel about my "baby" turning 8? I can tell you that in a lot of ways she's more mature than I was at 8. But I think that is how all kids seem to be these days. I know I didn't sass quite so much...or at least not until I was older.
She continues to be an excellent reader, up to nearly 4th grade. Her favorite books to read are Junie B Jones, Magic Tree House, Misty of Chiconteague, and Ramona. She's also been delving into the Little House on the Prairie series - books I loved myself as a kid. She's a wonderful writer - with imagination, good spelling, and neat penmanship. She's also a much better artist than I will ever be. She likes to learn and is good at math and science also. She's a good friend to just about everyone she knows and does her best to be nice to them even when they might be mean. Now if that could just carry over at home...where she tends to be a little mouthy. I suppose I could say she's independent. And she's thoughtful. She was so excited to have used some of her own birthday money to buy gifts for her brother and sister for Christmas. If only she'd realize she could possibly earn an allowance by doing her chores without being told...
All in all I think she's one pretty special and unique child. Even when she's driving me crazy...making me scream and pull my hair out.
- weight/length @ 7: 55.6lbs, 48.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 42lbs, 43.5"
- weight/length @ 4: 36 lbs, 39+"
- weight/length@ 3: 32lbs, 36.5 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 26lbs, 33.5 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 18lbs, 29 inches
- walking: 11/17/08
- standing: 3/31/08
- crawling: army, 2/5/08
- first time rolling: 9/30/07, belly to back
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:49am
- birth length: 19.5 inches
- birth weight: 6lbs, 1oz
- weight/length @7: 53lbs, 47.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 40 lbs, 42.25"
- weight/length @ 4: 34lbs, 38"
- weight/length 3 years: 28lbs, 35.5 inches
- weight/length 2 years: 24lbs, 6oz 33 inches
- weight/length 1 year: 18lbs, 1oz 27.5 inches
- walking: 9/1/08
- standing: 4/4/08
- crawling: army 3/16/08
- sitting alone: 2/29/08
- first time rolling: 11/23/07, back to belly
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:50am
- birth length: 18.75 inches
- birth weight: 5lbs, 8oz
- weight/height @ 10 (really 10.8): 186, 5'3"
- weight/height @ 8.4 years: 113 lbs, 55.5 inches
- weight/height @ 5 years: 61lbs, 4oz 45.25 inches
- weight/length @ 4 years: 49lbs, 42 inches
- weight/length @ 3 years: 38lbs, 38 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 32lbs, 8oz 35.75 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 22lbs, 3 oz 29.5 inches
- 1st day of preschool: 9/3/08
- solo somersault: 3/4/08
- whistling: 3/2/08
- potty training: 10/7/05
- walking: 12/21/04
- standing: 8/23/04
- crawling: 8/21/04, only a week, then became a butt scoot
- first wave: 7/27/04
- rolling: 5/2/04, belly to back
- sleeping thru the night: 3/1/04
- first smile: 1/20/04
- birth date/time: 12/4/03, 10:41pm
- birth length: 20 inches
- birth weight: 7lbs