I've managed to go nearly 32 years without breaking any bones, although I've gotten plenty of sprains. My first major surgery wasn't till I was 28, my c-section with the twins.
My oldest however managed to do the first break at age 6. The end result of a playground accident while camping. Apparently dad wasn't quick enough to say "I don't think that's the smartest idea" or she was just too quick at leaping off.
We finished our family mini-vacation with a 2 hour trip to the ER. Loads of fun anytime, but especially fun with 2 little kids who haven't had lunch or napped. The dirty looks in the waiting room, the comments about them being careful (when sitting on Alexa's "bed" in the hallway). The heat. The irritability on the parts of all involved.
The diagnosis: greenstick fracture. Apparently kids bones are like new tree limbs. When enough pressure is applied one side will break, while the other bends.
We eventually escaped, some to go home, some to go to a work meeting. Our instructions were to ice, elevate, and call the orthopedic doctor in the morning.
That call resulted in an early morning appointment on Wednesday, despite my begging for one that day. I got my cousin to watch the twins and friend so that I didn't have to haul them along. We arrived the requested 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. In no time at all we were done. The hardest part - picking out a cast color. She gets to spend the next 3 weeks in it. Then we go for an x-ray and hopefully that'll be it.
Or so we thought. I ended up having to make an emergency run back to the doctor that afternoon when Alexa's fingers started to swell. They ended up replacing it with a waterproof variety. I've yet to test it out after hearing all sorts of unpleasant things about odor and what it does to the skin underneath. We're saving the big test for Aunt D's pool on the 24th.
- weight/length @ 7: 55.6lbs, 48.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 42lbs, 43.5"
- weight/length @ 4: 36 lbs, 39+"
- weight/length@ 3: 32lbs, 36.5 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 26lbs, 33.5 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 18lbs, 29 inches
- walking: 11/17/08
- standing: 3/31/08
- crawling: army, 2/5/08
- first time rolling: 9/30/07, belly to back
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:49am
- birth length: 19.5 inches
- birth weight: 6lbs, 1oz
- weight/length @7: 53lbs, 47.75"
- weight/length @ 5: 40 lbs, 42.25"
- weight/length @ 4: 34lbs, 38"
- weight/length 3 years: 28lbs, 35.5 inches
- weight/length 2 years: 24lbs, 6oz 33 inches
- weight/length 1 year: 18lbs, 1oz 27.5 inches
- walking: 9/1/08
- standing: 4/4/08
- crawling: army 3/16/08
- sitting alone: 2/29/08
- first time rolling: 11/23/07, back to belly
- first smile: 9/7/07
- birth date/time: 7/8/07, 12:50am
- birth length: 18.75 inches
- birth weight: 5lbs, 8oz
- weight/height @ 10 (really 10.8): 186, 5'3"
- weight/height @ 8.4 years: 113 lbs, 55.5 inches
- weight/height @ 5 years: 61lbs, 4oz 45.25 inches
- weight/length @ 4 years: 49lbs, 42 inches
- weight/length @ 3 years: 38lbs, 38 inches
- weight/length @ 2 years: 32lbs, 8oz 35.75 inches
- weight/length @ 1 year: 22lbs, 3 oz 29.5 inches
- 1st day of preschool: 9/3/08
- solo somersault: 3/4/08
- whistling: 3/2/08
- potty training: 10/7/05
- walking: 12/21/04
- standing: 8/23/04
- crawling: 8/21/04, only a week, then became a butt scoot
- first wave: 7/27/04
- rolling: 5/2/04, belly to back
- sleeping thru the night: 3/1/04
- first smile: 1/20/04
- birth date/time: 12/4/03, 10:41pm
- birth length: 20 inches
- birth weight: 7lbs